If you’ve not used the Get My Payment tracker from the IRS to check the status of your, now is the time to give it a try. And if you entered your info in the portal weeks ago and , you could now give it second chance — the IRS said it has fixed some big issues in the app.
The IRS has been making CARES Act and intended to give Americans a boost during the financial shock of the . People who receive Veterans Affairs, Social Security, disability and Supplemental Security Income benefits are eligible for a stimulus check.since the middle of April, but If you’re still waiting for yours, you’re not alone. The checks are part of the 2020
We’ll explain how the Get My Payment tool works and how to use it. We’ll even point you to other useful resources, includingor . And if you’re wondering about a , here’s what we know so far. This story updates often with the latest news.
Things to know before you begin with the Get My Payment tool
- The tool will ask for your Social Security number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), your date of birth, your street address and your ZIP or postal code.
- The IRS is sending payments on a schedule. Think of it as batches of payments that get sent at once, rather than individually. The Get My Payment tool can ballpark your scheduled date.
- The IRS updates its status tracking information on who has and hasn’t received a payment once a day.
- You should receive a letter about 15 days after it issues your payment, with information on the amount you received and how you received it.
After tracking your payment status with the IRS, you might also consider signing up for the US Postal Service app that will actually notify you.
The IRS’ Get My Payment app has been known to turn up. Many have been fixed, but if you run into trouble, it’s a good note to keep in mind.
How to track the status and arrival of your stimulus check from the IRS
If you’re eligible for a check, the IRS lets you track your your payment schedule through its Get My Payment web portal. Some people have reported having trouble using the portal, and the IRS said it has significantly improved the Get My Payment app to help you set up and track the date of your stimulus payment.
1. Head to the IRS’ Get My Payment page and tap the blue Get My Payment button to check the status of your economic impact payment.
2. On the next page about authorized use, tap OK.
3. Now on the Get My Payment page, enter your SSN or ITIN, your date of birth, your street address and your ZIP or postal code. Tap Continue.
On the next page, the portal will show your payment status, whether it’s been scheduled or if the service can’t yet determine your status.
How do I know if my check is in the mail?
The IRS deadline topassed on May 13. If you didn’t set up your account, you’ll receive your check in the mail.
While most people will receive a paper check, the Treasury Department said 4 million people will get an Economic Impact Payment, or EIP, prepaid debit cards instead. We’ve asked the US Treasury to clarify who gets a check and who gets debit card.
How do I know that my status information is accurate and what if I get an error message?
Unfortunately, you may see confusing messages when using the status tool — so much so that the IRS explains common status messages in an FAQ. You may get a message if it’s impossible to determine your eligibility, for example, or your payment status is not available. We’re looking into it, but so far we’ve unearthed status.
You don’t need to sign up to receive stimulus money
To receive the stimulus payment, you may need toif you are normally required to. You can still do that now. .
Senior citizens, Social Security recipients, railroad retirees and other beneficiaries who typically aren’t required to file tax returns will not need to file one to receive a payment.
Again, the agency will mail a letter to a taxpayer’s last known address within 15 days after sending the payment. The letter will contain information on when and how the payment was made and how to report to the IRS if you didn’t receive your check.
For more on the stimulus checks, here’s. Here’s everything you need to know about the .