Did you know you can see when the post office will deliver yourif the IRS is mailing you a paper check? Perhaps you went to the IRS portal to and saw a message that your check will arrive through snail mail, and you want to know when so that you can budget. Or maybe you’re eligible for a payment but haven’t set up with the IRS, so a paper check is your only option there.
Or perhaps you meet the requirements for a check of up to $1,200 but, threw up your hands and are just waiting now for your check to come in the mail from the IRS. Whichever way you tried to check your payment schedule, you now know that your stimulus money is coming, just not exactly when.
To see which day it’ll arrive, you can use a free US Postal Service’s mail-tracking app and service known as Informed Delivery to be notified when your check is about to arrive. (Meanwhile, here’s what we know about.)
Make sure you’re eligible for Informed Delivery
When the USPS runs mail through its automated mail sorting equipment, it creates a digital image of the front of all letter-size mail, and that includes your stimulus check. The Informed Delivery program uses this digitally captured information to notify you when each piece of mail is on the way.
The service is available to many residential and personal PO box addresses but not businesses. It also won’t work for some multiunit buildings where the postal service hasn’t yet identified each unit.
Here’s how to check whether it’s available in your area:
1. Head to the Postal Service’s Informed Delivery page and tap the Sign Up for Free button.
2. Enter your mailing address, and tap Continue.
If the service is available, you can continue to set up an account.
Set up the Informed Delivery service
If you’re eligible, here’s how to set up your account.
1. On the Postal Service’s Informed Delivery page, if you haven’t yet, tap Sign Up for Free.
2. After you enter your mailing address and confirm it’s in the service, accept the terms and conditions and tap Continue.
3. On the next page, choose your username, password and security questions; enter your contact information; and then tap Continue.
4. On the next page, you’ll need to verify your identity. Tap Verify identity online if you want to receive a verification code on your phone or tap Request invitation code by mail if you want the postal service to mail a code to you. If neither method works for you, may also be given the option to visit a post office to verify your identity in person.
How to see your what’s coming in the mail
The IRS said it can take three business days to activate your account after you set it up. Once it’s live, you will receive an email each morning Monday through Saturday if mail is scheduled to arrive, notifying you of mail that will be delivered, along with a grayscale image of the front of the letter.
For more on ordering and receiving packages during the, here’s how to find , , and .