Sharing not working once you attempt to current from Google Meet in Chrome on macOS? There’s a straightforward repair, and Andy Wolber will present you ways.
I used to be in a Google Meet session with shoppers. “OK, go forward and current your display screen,” I mentioned. I waited. Nothing. No display screen sharing occurred. They noticed a immediate (Determine A) to alter permissions, however weren’t certain what to do. So we moved on to different points with out display screen sharing.
SEE: Analysis: Video conferencing instruments and cloud-based options dominate digital workspaces; VPN and VDI much less fashionable with SMBs (TechRepublic Premium)
Per week or so later, it occurred once more. I used to be in one other Google Meet session with completely different folks they usually, too, struggled to current.
In each circumstances, the one who wished to current from Google Meet on a Mac wanted to alter a single macOS safety setting. Nevertheless, the setting wasn’t simple for the particular person to seek out and alter shortly, particularly in the midst of a gathering.
So, if you happen to ever plan to current or share your display screen whereas in Google Meet in Chrome on a Mac, comply with the steps beneath. For these steps to work, be sure you:
- Have Chrome put in in your macOS system,
- Are signed in to Meet together with your Google account in Chrome, and
- Know your macOS administrator password.
The adjustments beneath make sure that Google Meet has the macOS safety permissions essential to will let you current your display screen.
(Be aware: For those who neglect your macOS administrator password, you might reset it a number of other ways. Attempt to reset the password from Restoration Mode first. Alternatively, in some circumstances you would possibly strive different strategies, similar to resetting it together with your Apple ID.)
The way to allow display screen recording permission for Chrome on macOS
- Choose the Apple menu (within the higher left nook of the display screen).
- Select System preferences (Determine B).
- Choose Safety & Privateness (Determine C).
- You might must unlock earlier than you modify settings. Choose the lock (Determine D, within the decrease left nook), then a message and a immediate will show. Sign up, both with TouchID or together with your system administrator account title and password.
- Ensure the Privateness button is chosen (from the tab throughout the highest of the choices), then scroll down and choose Display Recording (from the left menu).
- Within the field to the precise, scroll till Chrome is displayed, then choose the field to permit display screen sharing (Determine E).
- If Chrome is open, you might be notified that the setting will likely be utilized solely after Chrome quits (Determine F). Select both Later or Stop & Reopen. I like to recommend Stop & Reopen.
- Choose the lock (within the decrease left nook) to safe your settings.
After you’ve got made the above adjustments, you might current from Google Meet in Chrome in your Mac. Whereas in a gathering, choose the Current Now icon (shows like a field with an arrow pointing up in it) on the backside of your display screen, then select considered one of three choices: Your Whole Display, A Window, or A Tab.
SEE: 9 suggestions for audio conferencing with Google Meet (TechRepublic)
The way to allow digital camera and microphone permissions for Chrome on macOS
Moreover, Chrome wants entry to digital camera and microphone permissions to share video and audio with Google Meet. Typically, you may have already allowed this entry once you began a Google Meet session. For those who ever wish to examine the settings or change them, the method is just like the steps coated above.
To allow Chrome digital camera permissions: Apple menu | System Preferences | Safety & Privateness | scroll to Digital camera | unlock if wanted (as above) | Examine the field subsequent to Chrome (Determine G).
To permit Chrome microphone permissions: Apple menu | System Preferences | Safety & Privateness | scroll to Microphone | unlock if wanted (as above) | Examine the field subsequent to Chrome (Determine H).
What’s your expertise?
For those who use a Mac—or use Google Meet with individuals who use macOS—have you ever seen folks encounter issues once they try to current? How do you assist folks previous the above one-time adjustments to display screen recording, digital camera or microphone safety settings? What different strategies have you ever used to share your Mac’s show throughout an internet assembly? For those who use Google Meet on macOS, let me know what your expertise has been, both within the feedback beneath or on Twitter (@awolber).