Along with sending payments, the IRS built an online tool that lets you see the status of your Get My Payment, the portal can provide you with the agency’s current information on your payment if you haven’t received it yet, including if the IRS has processed or scheduled it, or if there’s a before the federal agency can send your money. Your stimulus payment tops out at $1,200 per person .. Called
Get My Payment can also reveal whether your money will arrive as a paper check or a. In some cases, you might even get a if you signed up before the mid-May cutoff and have been experiencing a delay. After tracking your payment status with the IRS, you might also consider signing up for the US Postal Service app, which will notify you .
If you tried to check your status when the IRS first launched the tool, but didn’t get the answer you needed, you might want to give it a second chance. The IRS has made some changes since the portal’s early days,people reported and providing more useful information about what to do next. We’ll explain how to use the site, including the details you should have on hand before you begin.
For more information about stimulus checks, here’s what to do if you think, and these are the latest details about a . We update this story often.
Things to know before you begin with the Get My Payment tool
- The tool will ask for your Social Security number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), your date of birth, your street address and your ZIP or postal code.
- The IRS is sending payments on a schedule. Think of it as batches of payments that get sent at once, rather than individually. The Get My Payment tool can ballpark your scheduled date.
- The IRS updates its status tracking information once a day.
- You should receive a letter about 15 days after the IRS issues your payment, with information on the amount you received and how you received it.
How to track the status and arrival of your stimulus check from the IRS
If you’re eligible for a check, the IRS lets you track your payment schedule through its Get My Payment web portal. Some people have reported having trouble using the portal, and the IRS said it has significantly improved the Get My Payment app to help you set up and track the date of your stimulus payment.
1. Head to the IRS’ Get My Payment page and tap the blue Get My Payment button to check the status of your economic impact payment.
2. On the next page about authorized use, tap OK.
3. Now on the Get My Payment page, enter your SSN or ITIN, your date of birth, your street address and your ZIP or postal code. Tap Continue.
On the next page, the portal will show your payment status, whether it’s been scheduled or if the service can’t yet determine your status.
How do I know if my check is in the mail?
The IRS deadline topassed on May 13. If you didn’t set up your account, you’ll most likely get your check in the mail.
While most people will receive a paper check, the Treasury Department said 4 million people will get an Economic Impact Payment, or EIP, prepaid debit card instead (and as of the first week of June, it said these payments have been made). We’ve asked the US Treasury to clarify who gets a check and who gets a debit card.
How do I know that my status information is accurate and what if I get an error message?
You may see confusing messages when using the status tool — so much so that the IRS explains common status messages in an FAQ. You may get a message if it’s impossible to determine your eligibility, for example, or your payment status is not available. We’re looking into it, but so far we’ve unearthed a handful of status.
You don’t need to sign up to receive stimulus money
To receive the stimulus payment, you may need toif you are normally required to. You can still do that now. .
Senior citizens, Social Security recipients, railroad retirees and other beneficiaries who typically aren’t required to file tax returns will not need to file one to receive a payment.
Again, the agency will mail a letter to a taxpayer’s last known address within 15 days after sending the payment. The letter will contain information on when and how the payment was made and how to report to the IRS if you didn’t receive your check.
For more on the stimulus checks, here’s. And here’s everything you need to know about the .