Best Buy and other online retailers, including Ring’s store. Like , Ring’s 3 Plus costs $230 (£199, AU$369). That’s on the high end of video doorbells now, but the 3 Plus has one key trick that separates it from every other battery-powered Ring buzzer: Pre-Roll., first announced on March 11 — which feels like amid the pandemic and resulting — is available now at
- Can be hardwired or run on included rechargeable battery
- People Only Mode successfully filtered out most nonperson motion activity alerts
- Pre-Roll feature records extra motion activity so you can see more of an event
- At $230, the 3 Plus is on the pricey end
- Doesn’t work with Google Assistant or Siri
I’ll talk more about the Pre-Roll feature in a bit, but the gist is that it captures and saves four seconds of video footage leading up to motion detection. That means it can pick up crucial footage that the camera might otherwise miss.
The combination of